Research Consulting Services
IDEA offers assistance with survey development, ranging from review of existing home-grown instruments to creating questionnaires from scratch. Our team is experienced at writing questions, designing and administering surveys, and conducting item analyses of piloted instruments.
- Consult on item development
- Write survey items
- Develop web-based surveys
Sample scenario: An institution has decided to revamp their current end-of-course student feedback instrument. The faculty want the instrument to be home-grown and specific to their institution’s needs, but would like assistance with item writing and survey development.
IDEA's team of researchers and statisticians develops quantitative data collection systems and manages large data sets. We conduct higher-order statistical analyses (e.g., regression modeling, Bayesian Model Averaging, structural equation modeling, factor analysis, multivariate analyses).
- SPSS and R statistical packages
- Thematic analysis of qualitative data
- Custom data analysis of IDEA SRI
- Data analysis of home-grown instruments
- Report writing
Sample scenario: An institution would like assistance with analyzing the relationships between their IDEA Student Ratings of Instruction (SRI) course data and faculty demographics supplied through the Campus Labs platform. Specifically, they wish to examine the relationships between the SRI and instructor gender, age, ethnicity, race, and academic discipline.
Student Affairs Assessment
IDEA can help you with all aspects of student affairs assessment including: creating learning outcomes and assessment plans, implementing assessment, analyzing data and reporting informed decision-making from assessment data.
- Creating division, department, and program-level student learning outcomes
- Mapping learning outcomes to institution-level learning outcomes, and CAS learning and Development outcomes
- Building an assessment culture through student affairs assessment professional development workshops
- Developing division, department, and/or program-level assessment plans
- Creating direct and indirect measures of student learning (e.g. rubrics, surveys)
- Designing surveys, analyzing, and reporting
- Student success analytics, which programs and services have the greatest impact on student success
Pre- and Post-Award Services
IDEA researchers consult with campuses on research designs for proposal development and/or can be included as a resource for analyzing data collected from a funded project.
Sample Scenario: Faculty in English departments collaborating across multiple institutions plan to submit a grant proposal to request external funding for a project designed to infuse active learning in the classroom. They have developed several outcome measures but need assistance with developing a student satisfaction survey and with post-award services for evaluating the project. They will need assistance with data management and data analysis, including higher-order statistical analyses.
Consultation and workshops can also be built on topics such as:
- Literature review and report writing
- Balanced faculty evaluations
- Implementing data-informed decision making on your campus
- Assistance in analyzing your Aggregate Data File (ADF)
- Student Affairs Assessment
Contact our Research Staff to learn more.